Frequent Planning Questions

Do accessory buildings need zoning approval?
All accessory buildings must receive zoning approval for the placement of the building. All accessory buildings over 832 square feet in size are required to get a building permit and a Type 1 Special Use Permit from the Planning Commission. All Accessory Buildings over 200 Sq. Ft. are required to get a building permit.

What are the fencing regulations in the residential areas?
Generally, you may install up to a four-foot tall fence in any front yard area. In the side or rear yard, you may install up to a six-foot tall fence. All fences must be located entirely on your property and may not obstruct the view of any adjacent roads or driveways. All support structures for the fence must be located facing the property to whom the fence belongs. No barbed wire fencing is permitted. Building Permits are not required for fence installation.

What are the setback requirements for swimming pools?
Swimming pools must be located in the side or rear yard. A ten-foot setback must be maintained between any side or rear property line.  A barrier in compliance with the State Building code must surround all swimming pools.

Are temporary banner signs permitted for businesses in Cascade Township?
The Cascade Township Sign Ordinance specifically prohibits the placement of any temporary signs in the township. This includes banner signs and trailer signs. Real estate signs are permitted provided they are located on the property that is for sale.

What is the zoning classification of my property?
See page 5 of Zoning Ordinance to be directed to the zoning map.

Will the township get involved if my neighbor has failed to cut his grass?
In the restricted area, which include properties lying west of Buttrick Avenue and north of Interstate 96, and north 28th Street and west of Interstate 96, a property owner is expected to maintain their property within the established and prevailing neighborhood standard. In most cases, property owners are required to cut their grass once it has reached eight inches in length. If you are concerned about your neighbor’s grass the community standards officer will respond and determine a course of action.

If my neighbor has a dead tree on their property, do they have to cut it down?
Dead trees that are deemed hazardous to the public or an adjoining property will have to be removed. If you have a concern about a dead tree, the community standards officer will inspect the tree in question and determine if it must be removed.

Are residents allowed to keep inoperable or junk vehicles on their property?
Any vehicle that is stored on a resident’s property for more than 48 hours must be road ready. This means it must have a valid registration, and be able to be started and driven legally on the road. If a vehicle is not registered, or is not able to operate, it must be stored within an enclosed building or removed from the property.